This course requires 1 option.
Level 3 Mahi-a-toi Academy
Teacher in Charge: Nick Hackett
In Level 3 Mahi-a-Toi Academy, students will analyse factors that influence the quality of individual performance in applied settings. Students complete units based on Toi Māori which covers Ta Moko, Māori Performing Arts, Whakairo, Korero and Kowhaiwhai. Students apply advanced theory and apply their learning in practical settings.
A component of Mahi-a-Toi is committing to a Programme at UNITEC gaining experience in a Tertiary environment and gaining a Level 3 Tertiary Certificate in Visual Arts 3.2, 3.3 and 3.5.
The work done throughout the year will be assessed by Internal Assessment submissions. This course is assessed using Unit and Achievement Standards.
Students will attend the Mahi-a-Toi Academy one day a week from 2-6pm and spend one day per week at UNITEC for Terms 1-3.
Students will also study 4 other subjects including English (compulsory) as well as highly recommended subjects Visual Arts and Te Reo Māori.
Students will be Aiming to Complete:
• Level 3 Credits towards NCEA
• Working towards a Level 3 Tertiary Certificate in the Creative Industries.
This academy sets the students up for mahi within the Creative Industries Sector, including but not limited to: Visual Artist, Performing Artist, Designer (including graphic, animation, architecture, costume, advertising and branding, interior and fashion.), Ngā Toi Practitioner, Kaiako, Arts Event Co-ordinator, Arts Business Manager, Film Maker, Director, Photographer, Cultural Advisor.
Recommended Prior Learning
Entry to the Academy:
• Entry into the Mahi-a-Toi Academy is through an application and interview process
• Places are very limited on this course.
• Must have completed Level 2 Mahi-a-Toi.
• At the discretion of the Programme Co-ordinator. Based around good attendance, effort in class and reliability.
• It is highly recommended that students study subjects Visual Arts and Te Reo Māori.