This course requires 1 option.
Level 2 Mahi-a-toi Academy - Rutherford College
Teacher in Charge: Nick Hackett
In this course students will be gaining Level 2 Credits towards NCEA, Creative Industries Endorsement Award and working towards Te Waharoa Level 2.
The work done throughout the year will be assessed by Internal Assessment submissions.
In Level 2 Mahi-a-Toi Academy, students will analyse factors that influence the quality of individual performance in applied settings. Students complete units based on Toi Māori which covers Ta Moko, Māori Performing Arts, Whakairo, Korero and Kowhaiwhai. Students apply advance theory and apply their learning in practical settings.
A component of Mahi-a-Toi is committing to a 10 week programme at UNITEC gaining experience in a Tertiary environment and working towards a Level 3 Tertiary Certificate and Visual Arts 2.2, 2.3. 2.5.
Students will attend the Mahi-a-Toi Academy one day a week from 2-6pm and spend one day per week at UNITEC for Term 2.
Students will be Aiming to Complete:
• Level 2 Credits towards NCEA, Creative Industries Endorsement Award
• Working towards a Level 3 Tertiary Certificate in the Creative Industries.
This academy sets the students up for mahi within the Creative Industries Sector, including but not limited to: Visual Artist, Performing Artist, Designer (including graphic, animation, architecture, costume, advertising and branding, interior and fashion.), Ngā Toi Practitioner, Kaiako, Arts Event Co-ordinator, Arts Business Manager, Film Maker, Director, Photographer, Cultural Advisor.
Recommended Prior Learning
Entry to the Academy:
• Entry into the Mahi-a-Toi Academy is through an application and interview process.
• It is eligible for Vocational Pathways endorsement award in the Creative Industries Sector.
• Places are very limited on this course.
• Level 1 numeracy and literacy.
• It is highly recommended that students study subjects Visual Arts and Te Reo Māori.